July 18, 2010

Wankers and Rooting...???






Yesterday, I woke up feeling really rested after having a quiet night in the night before. After we got everything ready to checkout, Pauly let us store our stuff (thanks Pauly!) and then we went out in the city again. Caroline took us to Glebe, a Swedish part of Sydney, to go to the Glebe Market. I loved it! It was a Bohemian vintage flea market of sorts and I could have bought all sorts of things if I would have wanted to spend the money- I did buy gifts for Theresa, Emily, and myself while there :) I think you two girls will like them!
Afterwards we went into a small bookshop with a cafe in the back, where we ordered the best hot chocolate I've ever had in my life- we really don't make anything like that in the States! From there we went to Newtown and wandered some more, which was a huge walk, but we got to see the University of Sydney, Victoria Park, and part of a Rugby match on the way. Rugby is so crazy- it is the coolest sport to watch, and honestly, way more intense than American Football!
We eventually made it back to the hostel and then went to Harry's, the "famous" meat-pie place where Colonel Sanders ate, haha. I got a pie with beef inside and mashed potatos, mashy peas, and gravy on top. It wasn't the most delicious thing I've ever had, but it was tasty and warm and filling. A nice change from what we have been eating, lol. Ross took us to check out a tattoo parlor when he got off work, but it was super expensive, and even the small tattoo Kacey wanted would have cost her about 250! Crazy! We ended up down at Scubar hanging out with Ross and Pauly just waiting for our bus. Heads up, Cider (like Woodchuck at home) mixed with grenadine is sooo yummy! They also had bowls of rice crackers at the bar, my favorite! What a surprise that was! Ross also introduced us to two new words- they are kind of crude so I apologize if it offends, but we learned wanker and root. I'll explain to those of you that want to know- they are so funny to use, I can't wait to get them started in Morehead, haha!
Today we have been in Byron Bay, after a 12 hour bus ride, which wasn't that bad at all! Plus, I saw my first Kangaroo (well, live Kangaroo) during the drive :) Yay! We checked in and showered up then went out wandering, as usual. Grabbed a cheap sushi lunch, it was pretty good, no Kyoto or Moto, but still pretty tasty, and then headed for the beach. We of course couldn't find it and ended up wandering towards the lighthouse instead. Just when we thought we had reached the lighthouse, we found steps to the beach! It was beautiful! I can't wait to show you all pictures :) After relaxing for a bit we got back on our way towards the lighthouse- which ended up being a billion miles away uphill! Like Caroline said, we are on the Aussie diet, eating a little and walking a lot! The lighthouse was worth it once we got to the top- like I said, I will have to add pictures soon. After finding our way back home (a completely different and faster way than we walked there in the first place) we came into the computer room to update everything. I guess next on the list is noodles for dinner and maybe trying to come up with a plan for the next week- we don't have anything booked after tomorrow! I miss all of you and would love little updates from home :) Much Love!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a place everyone should visit! Keep having fun,fun fun!!!! I'm putrting aus on my list of things to do.....we miss you and love you. Mom and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're finding a lot of great little places, which always makes a trip! Is it warmer now, you're in a bathing suit!! Can't wait to see my gift, I'll love anything you know that, but when "Bohemian" and "vintage" and "flea market" are all added, I know it'll be an instant hit!

    ReplyDelete