July 22, 2010

Ninja Bird and Our New Baby!



So, back to yesterday- We got to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and ended up only paying 25 instead of 28, which made me very happy! We started out looking at bats, and birds, and a platypus and then moved on to the main attractions- koalas and kangaroos! I HAD to do the "cuddle a koala" picture dealio even though I had told myself I wouldn't if it cost extra... it was just too great to pass up. Kacey and I took the cutest little family photo (featured above lol) and I even got pooped on! Horay! The koala was definitely sick of being held and the handler kept making this weird oo-oo-oo sound to make it hug us... and then eventually gave up. I don't blame the poor furry little man, he's forced to hug strangers all day, I wouldn't wanna do it either!
After that, we bought Kangaroo food and entered this huge enclosure full of emus and wallabys and kangaroos; this was definitely my favorite part of the sanctuary! All you had to do was walk up and hold your hand down and the animals would take the food from you, some would let you hang out with them and pet them, too. The kangaroos have zero expression on their faces but they are still so oddly adorable and fun to be around! I found my favorite roo before we left the enclosure area- he looked kinda old and never opened his eyes all the way, he had a spotted little nose and he let me pet him and cuddle him just like Nevada does! He's the one on the bottom right, I loved him :)
We saw other animals there, like dingos and wombats, and they even had a barn animal area that cracked me up- 2 enormous pigs, some ponies, goats, chicks, and then enclosures with, you would never guess this, guinea pigs! hahaha. Goofy Aussies, thinkin' guinea pigs are cool enough to put in a zoo, lol. We had an hour to wait for our bus when we left so we sat down to relax at a little cafe by the river. I decided to munch on a granola bar, when all of the sudden, this black and white devil-ninja bird flew into my face, distracted me, and stole my bar!!! It was probably hilarious to see from a distance, especially when he dropped it in the dirt right in front of me and casually pecked at it... what a jerky bird! haha.
We finished the day with some really awful Japanese food back in the city and then a trip to the grocerey. When we got back to the hostel, we had time to kill, so we rested and planned a night in. Eventually, I went to make my corn and bacon chowder (more exciting than it should have been after noodles all the time) and the two guys from the game room the night before were cooking too. We all sat down at the same time and they asked Kacey and I to join us- yay new friends! More people joined and we ended up spending the evening drinking wine and German beer with Alex and Daniel from Germany, Marcus from Austria, Danya from Canada, and these two obnoxious guys from Canada. It was fun! We eventually got kicked off the 5th floor for being too loud and all piled into somebody's room to hang out until everybody went to the bar (Kacey and I had to be up too early and it was way tooo cold outside to join). This guy came back to his room and we were all in there- the two Canadian guys didn't realize they had a new roommate! All in all, it was a pretty amusing night, and we finally went to bed at midnight when the others all went out to "make a party." It was a great last night in Brisbane!
Now I'm in Cairns after a 29 h0ur Greyhound ride and I'm ready to go find some numnums! Missin all you at home, love you muchos!





6 comments:

  1. Ali not the first time a bird stole your food (remember)...sounds like a great place to see ! Enjoy and relax in Cairns....We at home are missing you tons...but will see you soon. Love, Mom and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! How could I forget... Sea World right??? Miss and Love you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you too!
    I'm sorry that birds steal your food. They are all evil and do not understand food possession. I have a vendetta against peacocks for the same reason.
    Btw, I am totally jealous of all your new German friends. I'm glad you're making tons of new friends, human and animal alike. Sadly, animals are not good penpals =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so entertaining! I love it, that poor old roo, he'd be my favorite too! I agree with theresa, all these German friends so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete