July 15, 2010

Did you pet kangaroos?? Nah, we just ate one.



Yesterday was Thursday the 15th here in chilly windy Sydney, and we had literally the most Australian day/night that we could have had, I think. We started out making our way toward the Harbour under the lead of our roommate Caroline ("If you all keep walking this pace it will take you an hour!"...eh, we're southern we don't care) and stopped at an Australian McDonalds along the way. I was really curious to see if their menu was different than ours, which it is, but not in a really exciting way- but I was sucked in by it being the cheapest food we have seen yet. So yes. I ate lunch at McDonalds yesterday. Don't judge, you would have done it too!
The most exciting thing happened right after I ordered, too.... Wes called!!! We chatted the whole walk down to the harbour and he was even on the phone when I got my first glimpse of the iconic Sydney Bridge and Sydney Opera House :) After doing the tourist picture deal we got in a line for a Free Ferry... to somewhere. We just wanted a free ferry ride! Once on the boat, we found out we were on our way to Cockatoo Island where there was the 17th annual art exhibit- which was also free and only occurs every 2 years! Basically, we got really lucky, yet again, by just doing random things.
Once we got back, we walked around The Rocks and made our way back towards the hostel, stopping to pick up some groceries. Let me tell you. I thought I hated the grocery at home...I now know what it is to hate a grocery. This place was PACKED! I'm used to 5 people in the whole store, here there were 5 people running into you, pushing you from behind, and standing in front of you at all times. Plus, there was no order to the shelving at all- ex: pasta and pickles right next to each other.... riiiight. Our trip was brightened by the fact we found really cheap store brand Ramen noodles and a girl wearing pink overall "janties" (jean shorts that are sooo short they show half your business, like panties) on our way home. Use your imagination, haha,we laughed for about 4 blocks.
We then traveled over to the Railway YHA to test out some Kangaroo burgers- they were delicious! Apparently, the meat is super lean and has more protein than beef, so it was really good for us too. We definitely needed a good meal. Geo made fun of us for eating kangaroo, suggesting that most tourists want to pet furry animals and not eat them, but this is the thing- where else would you ever get to eat a kangaroo!??! I mean come on! It was a must-do sort of thing, and there are more, I can pet a different one later! We asked the Aussie YHa worker where a good bar where locals went was and he invited us out with a whole group of the workers for one of their birthdays.
We all met up and went- and as promised, it was epic :) We started out at a very upscale bar that was pretty chic, full of business men, and very expensive (14.50 for a jaeger bomb, no thanks). Then we went to...... A SALSA BAR! A for real people shakin their hips, music blastin, arms flying, girls twirling salsa bar! It was the coolest bar I have ever been to, for sure. Some of the guys with us knew how to salsa and I got to learn how- it was a complete blast. The night finally came to an end and Kacey and I made our way back to the hostel by taxi :) Hopefully today we will end up just as fortunate as we have the past two- we're getting ready to head to a German Christmas Market at Bondi Beach (yea, I don't get it either, we're just goin) Love you all~

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap! What a day. How is Wes? What does kangaroo taste like? What sort of art was it? German Christmas Market?
    and Yay for meeting awesome people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes sounded really good!!! It was so great to hear from him, it seems so odd to be able to talk to him again and at the same time I already can't remember what it was like to not be able to talk to him at all! Kangaroo has the texture of red meat... I can't explain it, but its good! I'll have pics up of the art soon, modern out-there stuff :) And I'm meeting a lot of Germans! I thought of you today as I was talking to them! How are you? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You two. =) I'm glad he's well and that you (plural) are well.
    Yay! Germans! Good people?
    I'm doing okay. I'll probably facemessage you later today.
    Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Germans are awesome!!! And I ate at McDonalds in Amsterdam, it was delicious, I don't judge. I'm so happy you got to talk to Wes! This is such a great post, so many exciting things yay!

    ReplyDelete