July 14, 2010

"I feel like you're my boyfriend.... you pooped on me!"


So Day 1 was the longest day in the history of mankind, but it was also pretty great! We had another cool coincidence, this guy Geo that had sat down in the wrong seat on the plane to Sydney next to me for a few minutes before he realized his mistake actually showed up at our hostel yesterday! He is really funny, and he really reminds me of Craig, so it was nice to have almost a familiar friend as soon as we got here :)
Kacey and I got to shower and it was very clean and nice and private, it felt aaaamazing. I bet everybody was relieved once that happened.
*side note* We are on the 4th floor in a 4 person room- glad my lucky number is showing up so soon in the trip!
Our two roommates are really sweet- one is 19 and from Sweden, she has dreads and is just out of highschool spending a year in Australia alone! Way cooler than me, in other words. Our other roommate actually leaves today :( she's from Beijing and goes to college here in Australia. We got very lucky with our first room assignment!
So, back to yesterday, we took off from the hostel to go exploring and went on a four hour long wander. It was really great! We found Market City right by our hostel which is a normal mall on top and a huge market on the bottom- there was fresh fruit, food stands, tons of souveniers, and cheap clothes! From there we just started walking again and went through a small park and into a little suburb area that was super cute, it made me love Sydney, which by the way is a very clean and friendly place, so far!
We then found our way into Hyde park and into the Botanical Gardens. The sign basically summed up our love for it "Please walk on our grass, hug our trees, etc." This is the place for us! We found huge bats hanging in trees and sometimes flying overhead, honestly, even though I love bats, it was a little creepy when we were standing under the tree taking pictures of them hanging and two turned their little fox heads down and stared right at us! Yea, that for real occured, I have picture evidence, haha.
The next area of the gardens we entered we saw a group of people with huge white birds landing on them! No, not pidgeons or seagulls (both of which are all over the city, funny enough) but actually some sort of Cockatoo! At least thats what I think... I'll put up pics eventually and you bird experts can let me know what it really is. Anyway, really cool birds, in the wild, just swooping down and landing on people's arms and heads. One hung out with Kacey for a long time (hence the title of this post) and it was love at first sight... until he pooped on her leg. I hate when romances end that way..... :P
While playing with the birds we met two boys from an African island that go to college in Perth- yes, there are people from everywhere here! We chatted about our different homes and got some coffee from a really nice shop owner that gave us all sorts of tips about what bars to hit up and what cities we have to see during our travels! Everybody really is so friendly! We talked to this guy for about 35 minutes and learned so much :)
We went our own way from the boys with talks of maybe seeing eachother before we all leave the city and ended up warming up at the hostel and getting ready to go out with our roommates. We hit up two hostel bars and then Kacey and I were just way too exhausted to stay out a minute more so we came back and passed out in the hostel. Seriously, I was falling asleep sitting up at the bar! If I was about 30 years older it would have looked really tragic and pathetic. As it is, I just looked pathetic, haha. Anywho, it is now about 10 am on Thursday so I am going to get dressed and try to wake up Kacey :) Hope all is well with all of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment