July 20, 2010

COOLangatta???






Soooo... today has been a day. I woke up early and got everything together to catch the bus to our next YHA (I ate Ramen for breakfast, come on, great start, right?)- the day seemed to be going well...at first... All hell broke loose once we got to a little town called Coolangatta. We got off the bus and realized that the area we had to kill an hour and a half in was pretty umimpressive, but no biggie, we just wandered to a smoothie place. As I'm sitting there, enjoying my Brunch Blend Smoothie, I realize there is water pouring out of my backpack. No exaggeration. Pouring. Like a waterfall coming out from my zippers and soaking the table.

I unzipped my bag, pulled out the plastic bag my water bladder was in, and quickly discovered it had completely burst and filled my backpack with probably a liter of water. This normally would not have been an issue, except for I had put my camera in the pocket above the bladder when we were on the bus. Water+Digital Camera=broken digital camera :( We took it apart to try to dry it and I fumed around about this being the most frustrating day ever. I should have known when I said, "Nothing could make me upset on this trip except loosing my camera, or breaking it," that I was totally jinxing myself!

Once I sat and sulked a bit, we decided to put some stuff in Kacey's bag and then move on to an internet cafe- I mean, what else could go wrong after that? We arrive at said cafe, only to realize that the internet was possibly the slowest internet left in the 21st century. Also, the mood music was terrble 80's tunes. Don't get me wrong, ask anybody that has been in the car with me long enough- I looove some bad 80's music. This stuff was awful even to me. "Smooth Operator" was skipping along in the background for about 5 minutes. Put yourself in this place, people. I was not a happy Ali, lol.

We finally decided to give it up and go to the bus stop for the half hour til our shuttle to the hostel came. After what seemed like the longest thirty minutes of our lives, the shuttle came and it was back to all smiles- and then laughs when we realized the beach was ONE BLOCK up from where he had been sulking around. I felt bad for dissing Coolangatta so soon- we were the idiots that didn't find the beach! Since we've been at the hostel, we discovered we are sharing an 8 person room, which is ok, its only one night, and we've gone to the beach. The beach was a blast- there are photos to prove the amount of fun we had :P Then we ate wedges with sourcream and thai sweet chili and the best burgers ever in a little convenient store (btw, they put beets on their burgers here and it is delish!) I am happy as ever!

There are no plans for the rest of the evening except a shower and maybe a movie, then off to Brisbane tomorrow for two nights. I'm crossing my fingers that the bad luck has left and I can find a cheap digital camera to buy once we get there. Here's to hoping none of you had the same kind of day I started out having, but have all had as much fun as I had during our beach photoshoot! Much Love ;)

2 comments:

  1. ALI GREAT pictures for NO camera....how did you pull that one off ???? The beach looks amazing ! Have a better day today. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm sorry about your camera! I'm glad the day turned around though despite your jinx. It seems that the beach is wonderful (for being sunny) =) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete